What is a Smoothie?
‘Smoothie’ is a relatively new term for a blended, chilled drink made from a combination of ingredients, including fresh fruit, ice, milk and yogurt. They usually have a milkshake-like consistency. Crushing and mixing the ingredients by hand can be extremely difficult, so the solution is to buy a smoothie maker.
What is a Smoothie Maker
A smoothie maker is very similar to a blender. It is an upright electrical device which is usually made from glass, plastic and/or stainless steel. The top part of a smoothie maker is a detachable jug which contains a blade. The ingredients are put in to this jug and the blade is turned on – most smoothie makers offer a selection of blending speeds. In a matter of seconds the ingredients and blended and liquefies together to form a juice. Most smoothie makers also have a tap for dispensing the beverage when it is made.
How to make a Great Smoothie in your Smoothie Maker
By following the steps outlined below you can make healthy, delicious, nutritious smoothies in your smoothie maker, saving money on buying pre-made smoothies, and boosting your health at the same time.
- Firstly put in your fruit. The fruit is a key ingredient, and the fresher that your fruit is, the better your smoothie will taste. A wide variety of fruits can be used in a smoothie, with popular choices being bananas, mangoes, strawberries, oranges and blueberries. Frozen fruit can also be used, but try to avoid tinned fruit – as this often comes in lots of unhealthy sugar or syrup.
- Next, add milk. Skimmed milk and soy milk are the healthiest choices. Try to avoid full cream milk as it contains quite a lot of fat. If you are lactose intolerant, or simply fancy a more tangy flavour, you can use fruit juice instead.
- If you are using the smoothie as a meal replacement, consider adding protein powder. This will help fill you up, and will thicken the consistency of your smoothie.
- Add any other ingredients of your liking to the smoothie maker. Popular choices are ice cream, yogurt and honey. For a healthier choice use the low fat versions of these products.
- When all of the ingredients are in the smoothie maker, put the lid on and turn on the blender. If the mixture starts to become too thick and stodgy add ice cubes, one by one, until the mixture is at a better level of liquidity.
- When the mixture has finished blending, remove the lid from the smoothie maker and pour your drink in to a tall glass, and enjoy your smoothie!
UK author who is meeting a need for website reviews of the best kitchen and cooking equipment by publishing several sites including Smoothie Maker [http://www.smoothiemaker.org.uk] and Waffle Maker [http://www.wafflemaker.org.uk]
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Andrew_Emerson
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2100586
Find Out More: